Nowadays, refrigerators are not being designed with the sole purpose of keeping your food, drinks and veggies cool and fresh or to freeze. Big manufacturers like Whirlpool and LG have introduced refrigerators with multipurpose features like water filtering and ice dispensing technology. Sounds quite cool, right? Well, that’s not all. The Whirlpool’s WRF995FIFZ 36-inch French-door refrigerator comes with WiFi connectivity which pairs with Whirlpool’s app to give updates or reminders on filter changing and maintenance. Well, these useful features come with some added responsibility like changing the water filter of the refrigerator every 6 months or so to assure that there is no blockage or hindrance in water flow and the filtering technology. So, if you have recently purchased a Whirlpool French door fridge with water filtering tech or planning to buy one, read this article to learn how to change the water filter.
Choose the right one
Choose the water filter which suits your refrigerator model. Whirlpool has 5 different water filters for different refrigerator models produced by it.
Buy Filter 1 Step by Step Instructions
- Locate the water filter in the cooling chamber which is the top upper hand corner of your refrigerator or in the base grille.
- Gently lift the filter cover door up. As the door opens, the filter will be released and slightly eject.
- Pull the filter out from inside and discard it.
- Unbox the new filter and take out the protective cover from the O-rings. Check if the rings are in place and in working condition.
- Hold the filter such that the arrow labeled on the end of the filter cartridge is pointing upwards. Aligning the filter with the opening in the chamber, gently push the filter into the hole.
- As you insert the filter, the cover door will begin to close. To ensure the filter fits well within the housing, push firmly on the filter cover door until it is closed perfectly.
Finally, run 3 gallons of water through the line to flush the new filter and get it going.
Buy Filter 2 Step by Step Instructions
- Locate the filter cover which is in the upper right hand corner of your refrigerator.
- Pull down the filter door. Slightly pull the water filter from the housing so that it is angled downwards. After that, you have to rotate it to the left (counterclockwise) and pull. Discard it.
- Open the new filter. Carefully uncover the O-rings from the protective coverings. Make sure they are in place and working.
- While inserting the new filter into the housing, check if the arrow on the filter cartridge is facing upwards. When you push the filter into the hole, it will slightly rotate. So, while inserting you have turn it to the right (clockwise) until it is locked in place.
- Push the filter cover door upwards so it closes.
Run 4 gallons of water through the line to flush the water system and to see if the filter is working fine.
Buy Filter 3 Step by Step Instructions
- You will find the water cover filter in the lower left side of the base grille (outer side of the fridge).
- By pressing and holding down the eject button, pull the filter.
- Pull out the cap of the filter by rotating it counterclockwise until it stops. Pull it off of the end of the cartridge. Discard the old filter cartridge but keep the cap aside.
- Open the new filter and remove the cap from the O-rings carefully.
- Place the filter cap on the new filter and rotate it clockwise so that the ridges and grooves align.
- While inserting, make sure that the arrow on the cartridge is pointing to the left. Now, gently push the filter into the housing until the eject button pops out again.
Run 4 gallons of water through the line to flush the filter properly.
Buy Filter 4 Step by Step Instructions
- Locate the filter chamber in the upper right roof section inside your refrigerator.
- If the filter cover tab is facing outwards, push it and pull the cover down. If the tab is on the bottom, then pull down on the small lever to open the cover.
- Turn the cartridge to the left and pull it out. Discard it.
- For first time installation, you will find a cap inside the filter housing. Turn it in counterclockwise direction and take it out.
- Open the new filter. Uncover the O-rings. Place the cap at the end of the new filter cartridge and turn it to make it locked.
- Place the new filter in the slot aligning it with the ridges. Rotate it clockwise to fix it completely into the hole.
- Push the filter cartridge up so that it snaps in place. Push the filter door up to close it.
Run 4 gallons of water through the line to clean and flush it.
Buy Filter 5 Step by Step Instructions
- Locate the cap of the filter cartridge in the lower left section, that is, the base grille on the outer side of your fridge.
- Remove the filter cartridge by rotating the cap in a counterclockwise direction. When the handle is in a vertical position, pull it straight out with the filter.
- Remove the filter cap by sliding it off of the end. Discard the filter cartridge but keep aside the cap.
- Open the new filter. Remove the cover from the O-rings gently.
- Place the filter cap kept aside onto the new filter by sliding it into the end aligning the ridge of the cap with the ridge of the cartridge so that it fits completely.
- Push the new filter into the slot keeping the handle of the cap in vertical position. Push the cartridge entirely into the chamber.
- Rotate the cap in clockwise direction until it is horizontal.
Once placed, run 4 gallons of water through the line to flush the system properly. If you are planning to buy a new refrigerator, check out these models from Whirlpool with brand new features which will make your kitchen smarter.